Thursday, May 17, 2007

The adventure begins


Hi from Vancouver!
After having arrived in BC on the 15th and meeting up with Rob at the airport, we are ready to embark on our adventure. The picture shows us dipping our bikes into the Pacific ocean, marking the beginning of a coast-to-coast ride across a country that has always been a part of who I am, and yet I barely know. For how many days in my life have I sung the national anthem in school and not considered what it means to be Canadian? This trip is about learning Canada: its history, landscape, and people; its culture, values, and vision. It is three and a half months of considering what Canada can contribute to the world in these uncertain times, and of me figuring out what exactly it means to be Canadian. As my best friend recently rightly pointed out, I've never been much of a patriot, reluctant to use national borders to determine who I am. But prehaps there's nothing wrong with pledging some allegiance to a country, with using the word 'Canadian' in a description of yourself - so long as you support the meaning behind that description. My hope is that, by the end of the summer, I will know what it means to be Canadian, and I will be able to say 'I'm Canadian' without hesitation.
This morning, Vancouver; this evening, about 120km from here, Harrison Hot Springs, BC. From this point and for the next three and a half months we are official nomads of Canada. Here goes!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great start Meg and Rob!
Here's wishing you good weather, a tailwind, courteous drivers, and lots of support for your cause, SEED!
Love Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

I'm looking to your updates this summer! Keep it up! You're off to a great start. :)

Anonymous said...

May you use all your gears, and "sucseed" in your great adventure. And though your tires may flatten, may your hearts stay full. All the best Meg and Rob!

Paul, Paula, Catherine and John

Unknown said...

It was nice to meet you as you started your trip and to take you along the dykes of Pitt Meadows and through the back roads of Maple Ridge. Have a great trip. Alex R.

Anonymous said...

Looks like it will be an awesome trip for you both. May it bring blow your mind, and fill your heart.

Tiago

romeo bruni said...

May 23, Meg and Rob are now in Kelowna, staying in their tent in the back yard of a servas host. GREAT RIDING! all goes well so far!
oooooh doooooooooooogie!!!

romeo bruni said...

they spent the night at Lake Louise campground and today they ride to Canmore, Alberta, where they will hand until at least thursday!